Thursday, January 27, 2011

It's A Dog's Life

In our family we have two dogs, our full blooded, superstar field trial black lab named Wilson, and then we have Georgie.  Georgie came to us from the Franklin County Human Society where she may have some lab in her, but also some rottweiler, doberman, beagle, etc. Personally I think her parents were full blooded Franklin County hog dogs that could take down the Apalachicola forest wild boars without getting winded. The funny thing is, she is as sweet and funny as can be and the kids love her! She can also be a huge pain when she gets into the trash if it is not properly stored and spread it all over the yard.  I think this is just bred in her. She will go to the pantry, grab a box of Triscuts or loaf of bread to take out into yard where she may or may not eat it. (I am looking at a box of crackers in the yard as I write). 

We think she used to have to fight for her meals when she was a puppy due to her interesting eating habits. When we put food in her bowl, she gives us a look, picks it up and walks to a safe and, sometimes, undisclosed, place to eat. She totes her bowl everywhere!  We will find them in the yard, living room or hidden in a closest, as if it was saved for the hard times to come. Georgie doesn’t know how to play fetch, but chases the ball with Wilson. Wilson brings it back and drops it at my feet; then Georgie picks it up and runs off with it as if to say “Wilson…this is fun”! Poor Wilson just rolls his eyes and chases her around to get his ball back. Siblings….

Recently, I have let them sleep upstairs with Will in his room. He has to keep the door shut so she won’t go out for a midnight snack and the box of Triscuts I picked up in the yard….again.  Margaret always says it could be Wilson too, but I never knew him to wander in the middle of the night although I have caught him pulling cookies off the kitchen counter.  Last night I was awakened by some whining coming from Will’s room. It was around 2:30 a.m. when I got out of the bed to see what was the matter.  I opened Will’s door, Georgie walked to the bathroom, got a good drink from the toilet, walked back to Will’s room only to give me the “that will be all” look as she made her way back to bed. Who is the master here?

They both have it made. They sleep on my old chairs when it’s cold and rainy, and lay in the yard, basking in the sun on gorgeous days only to be roused (sometimes) if a neighbor is walking by. We think we teach dogs, but in as much, they teach us. There are so many dogs that I have known over the years that I would love to come back as in my second life. Some dogs seemed to have figured out the system and know better, while some never learn. Wow! That sounds familiar. Could that be applied to us? The old saying, “it’s a dog's life”, is so true and not a bad way to pass the time.

Georgie Girl ... and her food bowl ....
Wilson

No comments:

Post a Comment