Tuesday, December 11, 2012

From A Chef's Perspective .....

My name is Brian. I am an avid hunter, fisherman, outdoorsman & conservationist. I am also a Chef.  I caught the cooking bug early in life, and am passionate about it and passionate about the people that I cater to.  My life is always on the go. Whether it’s pushing out a dinner party of 200 people or stalking the elusive redfish on the flats of North Florida or in the back country of the Florida Keys at ‘safe light’.

I have been fortunate in my career to have mentors that not only push you to do the best and be the best, but also teach you sometimes you just have to stop and smell the roses. 

While in Culinary School, I had an Instructor, that pointed out, the first day of class; “Some of you will become chefs, and some of you won’t, you have to realize that when most of the world is partying, celebrating, etc. You are working.” Yes, it’s true. I can’t begin to tally all of the Valentines Days, Easter’s, Mother’s Day & Christmas’s that I have spent with a 10 burner gas range to my front and a never-ending pile of order tickets, and a crazed expeditor barking orders and demands to my back.  People ask, why? My reply, it's passion, it’s the look on happy faces, watching the fruits of my labor and the satisfaction of guests enjoying themselves.  Just to do it again the next shift. 

I have worked in some of the most prestigious establishments in the US.  From Rhode Island to Pennsylvania to Louisiana to where I am proud to now call home, Northwest Florida.  In the past 9 years, I have worked at two great dining establishments in Tallahassee.  These two restaurants, have kept me on my toes and ahead of the status quo. But Tallahassee and its beauty have taught me to "stop and smell the roses" and I can’t think of a better place to live, work, raise a family as well as enjoy myself through fishing, hunting and just being outdoors.


I first was introduced to William Lamb at Cypress Restaurant about 7 years ago.  The owners David and Elizabeth Gwynn rotated the wares of local artists on their walls.  Some of these art pieces were abstract, and some were simple and to the point.  The ones that I really connected with was the art of William Lamb.  His pieces spoke to me.  They were detailed pieces of the species that I like to catch, like the Silver King Tarpon, or chase after the briar busting Bobwhite Quail.  What also spoke to me was the Wm Lamb & Son philosophy, “So take time and enjoy the moment.  Most of us just can’t walk away from the hectic life we live, but there is no reason we can’t take a break from it from time to time.  Let me give your mind a break and recharge your batteries.”

People ask me frequently…"Chef, What do you like to eat?” My reply is simple.  “Other people’s food.”  I don’t mean to sound sarcastic.  I like the comforts of a home cooked meal, whether it is by my beautiful Christine, friends or family.  A meal where, I can enjoy the simple things in life, the conversation and the slow pace.  Not a meal, or shall I say sustenance, that is usually eaten on the go, cold and sometimes over a trashcan, where most of it will end up, because us chefs are pulled in different directions at all times, just something simple. 


I will share a recipe with you.  This is not one of mine out of my playbook, but one that is made for me by my beautiful better half, Christine.  She is a native of Alabama, she likes to cook and entertain just like myself.  She has the southern spirit and a warming heart.  She also has the taste for good food, whether it is out or at our home. So when I need to “take a break & recharge my batteries”…  She prepares one of my favorites:

Grilled Chicken Thighs and White Alabama BBQ Sauce
1 tablespoon dried thyme
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon paprika
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
10 skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs (about 3 lb.)

Preparation
    1. Combine first 7 ingredients until blended. Rinse chicken, and pat dry; rub seasoning mixture over chicken. Place chicken in a zip-top plastic freezer bag. Seal and chill 4 hours.
    2. Preheat grill to 350° to 400° (medium-high) heat. Remove chicken from bag, discarding bag.
    3. Grill chicken, covered with grill lid, 8 to 10 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer inserted into thickest portion registers 180°. Serve with White Barbecue Sauce.


White Alabama BBQ Sauce
1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tablespoon coarse ground pepper
1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons horseradish

Preparation
Stir together mayonnaise, vinegar, minced garlic, pepper, mustard, sugar, salt, and horseradish until blended. Cover and chill 2 to 4 hours. Store in an airtight container up to 1 week.

Enjoy and go recharge those batteries .... 


Brian Knepper
Executive Chef of the Governors Club
Contributing Blogger to Wm Lamb & Son

No comments:

Post a Comment